Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Shoppers-Goodbye to All That. CS (2011)

This is all over the internet, but there's a good chance non-Stateside peeps haven't heard 'em yet, so there ya go. Rochester, New York's Shoppers are one of my top 5 "bands I started listening to this year." Noise punk has been making a a big revival lately, and this tape does have a consistently abrasive tone. But underneath the throbbing itch are melodies and intensely emotional lyrics....no realities of war or free speech for the dumb, here, rather songs about ugly situations and problems with no solution.
In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that Shoppers sound like Rites of Spring, if RoS weren't pseudo-profound mopes, and instead had even an ounce of subtlety.

Hit me harder. I think this cassette is still available from the band, you can contact them here. While you're at it, pick up their debut LP, Silver Year. Majestically trashed, emotional punk (yeah, fuck you, I just used that phrase on Drug Punk!).

No comments:

Post a Comment