Friday, September 23, 2011

Urban Blight-Total War 7" EP (2010)

Like many people, I didn't trust this band initially. Parroting not only the name, but also the logo of Urban Waste? Sheer hubris, thought I. I started re-considering around when they dropped that DJ single-lookin' EP.

Several years on, and I've changed my tune considerable. UB shreds. Blasting the standard mid-'80s US hardcore stylings, the production really sets this EP apart. Y'know that ugly vibe you get listening to a mixtape whose songs were recorded with the "recording level" knob flipped to the red zone? The whole thing sounds like that. It almost gets to noise rock levels at times. The overall impression is a harshness unusual in hardcore these days. Oh, and it has the best throw away chorus I've heard in years: "Total war/total war/total war/1, 2, 3, 4!' Iggy, eat yer heart out...

Total war. Buy it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment